Spanish American War
- American expansion
- On February 16, 1898, an explosion (B0O0M!!) on board the USS Maine led to its sinking and great outrage in the US.
- The American media, influenced by publishers, William Randolph Heart and Joseph Pulitzer, demanded a war with Spain and congress obliged in April 1898
- Yellow journalism. Exaggerated journalism (basically the old version of the gossip magazines we now see in the grocery check out lanes when we buy gum)
- Americans identified with Cuba
- Some have argues the explosion on the USS Maine was caused by Cuban rebels who then blamed Spain in an attempt to draw the US into war against Spain.
- A US investigation at the time concluded that the explosion was caused by a Spanish mine, but to this day, there is no certain answer as to what caused the explosion.
AP Government: Naval Power
- Admiral Alfred Mahan’s writing (just know he was very important and he wrote alot of cool stuff about power mainly concentrating on the following) STRONG NAVYS ARE IMPORTANT
- Need for strong navy at turn of 20th century (just look at Britain they were STRONG)
- Successful Trade= Strong Navy ( GLOBALIZATION OH YEAH!)
- Coaling stations needed for navy. (where ships refueled because ships get thirsty too)
- SUCESSFUL TRADING MEANS STRONG NAVY
AP Government Early Acquisitions: Hawaii
Here are some quick notes on why Hawaii is American rather than Japanese, even though there seem to be more Japanese tourists (XD)
- In 1893, Queen Liliuokulani announced plans for a new constitution
- US businessmen led coup in 1893 and removed her, creating independent republic
- US annexation of Hawaii in 1897
- In 1993, the United States apologized for the overthrow of the Hawaiian kingdom. ( Man is that crazy late or what!)
- Business interests in acquiring Hawaii, trade, and Navy.
The Origin of American Foreign Relations
First Experience with Foreign Relations
- *During the 18th and 19th centuries, the United States’s interaction with Native American tribes provided the country with its first foreign relations experience
- * Development of patterns and attitudes when examining military conflicts and treaties between the United States and Native American tribes
- * Many of the treaties are still in effect.The treaties accord Native American the statues of “sovereign nations”
Presidential Campaign 2012
Taking a look at some statistics Via facebook I think you will find it interesting which age groups are more likely to support each U.S Presidential candidate.
- President Obama is currently most popular with people ages 18-25
- Mitt Romney is currently most popular with people ages 45- 55
- Ron Paul (I know he is no longer current,but thought he would be important to include) is currently most popular with people ages 25-35
What does this say about the different generations? Send a reply providing your thoughts thought the ask box. I might post responses later on.
What is Political Science?
Politics has been defined in terms of governance, power, and as the authoritative allocation of values, and, even who gets what, when, and how. But no simple definition can capture the broad range of subject matter that is included in political science. You can get some idea of the scope of the discipline from the four main subfields that make up the undergraducate curriculum: Political Theory, Comparative Government, International Relations, and American Government.
Political scientists study topics such as the exercise of power and influence sources and resolution of conflicts; the relationship of politics to the economy, culture, and other aspects of society; the adoption and implementation of pubic policies; and the development of political systems. These topics are studied at all levels, from local communities to the global community.
However politics is defined, it is clear that actions in the political arena have vital effects on our lives, liberties, and well-being. From this standpoint, political science deals with how we reach the collective decisions that shape our common fate.
- Scientific Revolution of the 16th and 17th centuries.
- Forms the base of modern science.
- Confidence in the “Power of Reason.”
- Enlightenment thinkers believe the “power of reason” can be used for everyday lives. (everyday lives meaning: social, political, and economic problems)
Websites to use for AP government
I was recently asked on tumblr to post sites to aid the AP government student. They are not the only websites to study from, but may prove useful.
Websites with Notes/ Power points:
You can also test your current knowledge at:
General politics/ government info:
Your teacher should also have links or sources he/she can recommend to you. Also, don’t underestimate your public library, they have more help there than you can possibly imagine.
I hope you found this answer and this blog helpful.
CONGRATULATIONS AP GOVERNMENT STUDENTS
So the end of the year is finally here!
If you are graduating congratulations! If not, great job for completing your AP government exam. Send me an inbox on what your experience was like. Maybe I will continue this blog. Cheers!
bless you for making this tumblr! i really need it :/ (from must-be-lovelovelove)
Your welcome :)